Valley’s FIRST Designated Pediatric Medical Center
Los Angeles County has designated Northridge Hospital as a Pediatric Medical Center (PMC) for providing the highest level of care for critically ill pediatric patients. Our PMC designation means children no longer need to be transported further away to other specialty centers, so they remain close to home and family.
It also affirms Northridge Pediatric Medical Center has:
Pediatric Trauma Center/Emergency Department capable of managing complex emergencies for children
- InQuicker – an Online ER Waiting Service™
Visiting NorthridgeER.org allows parents to select a projected ER treatment time online, and wait with your child in the comfort of your home, not the waiting room
- Only certified Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (14-beds) in the Valley
- Physicians with pediatric specialties and subspecialties who are trained to address children's unique medical needs
- The only Child Life Program in the Valley featuring a Child Life Specialist who educates and comforts children so they can better cope with stress, hospitalization or medical treatment.
- Outreach educational programs for children and adults in our community
Northridge Pediatric Medical Center can treat all kinds of pediatric emergencies including:
- All traumas
- Near drowning
- Septic shock
- Irregular heartbeat (Cardiac dysrhythmia)
- Severe respiratory distress
- Abnormal blue discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes (Cyanosis)
- Persistent altered mental status
- Brain seizures (Status epilepticus)
- Any life-threatening event
Richie Pediatric Trauma Center
Our Richie Pediatric Trauma Center is the only facility in the San Fernando Valley that provides immediate care to infants, children and adolescents with life-threatening traumatic injuries 24-hours-a-day. This team responds immediately to treat children within the Platinum 30 Minutes – known as the first half hour after injury to increase the chance of survival.
Injuries Cared for by the Pediatric Trauma Team
- Abdominal and chest injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Injuries to extremities
A Little More “TLC”
Our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and Pediatrics Unit are staffed by pediatric surgeons and pediatric critical care specialists. The PICU is certified by the California Children's Services (CCS) and provides sick children with the highest level of intensive medial care.