Embark on a Journey to Survivorship
A cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming. You don't have to face it alone...we can help. A diagnosis of cancer brings many challenges.
It is common to feel overwhelmed, confused, uncertain and frightened. Navigator Programs are nationally recognized for increasing a cancer patient’s chances for survival and quality of life. Our complimentary Navigator Program connects all newly diagnosed cancer patients with an RN Navigator and a Patient Advocate or Outreach Coordinator to help guide and support them through diagnosis, treatment and into survivorship.
The Oncology Registered Nurse Navigator is the patient’s point-of-contact concierge to ensure a smooth transition among hospital services. Patients can rely on their Navigator for compassionate support, encouragement and education. The RN Navigator works closely with physicians to help coordinate care as quickly as possible and better acquaint patients with our Oncology Unit, the Cancer Center, the Women’s Center and Radiation Oncology.
Our Navigators support more than 2,000 patients a year. This unique inpatient and outpatient program has numerous benefits:
- One-on-one meetings with patients to better acquaint them with all of our services.
- A personalized Patient Orientation Program Navigating Through Your Cancer Journey.
- Assistance with appointment scheduling.
- Help explaining test results and providing further reinforcement and education of physician recommendations.
- Facilitates communication and patient concerns to the appropriate physicians and staff.
- Pre-and post-operative surgery education.
- Connect patients to additional support resources such as support groups, classes and programs through NHMC’s partnerships with the American Cancer Society and weSPARK.
- Provide information, support and reassurance while helping patients through a difficult journey.
For more information on our Navigator Program, please call 818-885-5471. Your Navigator is a knowledgeable, sensitive and compassionate individual who empathizes with patient challenges and provides support, education and empowerment.
Supporting Your Recovery
The Navigator Program’s Outreach Coordinator works closely with the RN Navigator to bridge the gap between inpatient and outpatient services. Northridge Hospital provides culturally sensitive cancer health education programs for our community including: support groups, classes, school programs and free cancer screenings.
The Patient Advocate assists the Outreach Navigator with both outreach and inpatient needs, including assistance with transportation and home health issues. Moreover, the Patient Advocate assumes the role of Librarian to provide education, resources and information to all patients and families at the Cancer Center Library.
Northridge Hospital is proud to be the recipient of continuing grants from the Avon Foundation for Women to help support the Breast Cancer Patient Navigator and for the support from the Harold Pump Foundation to provide FREE lifesaving cancer screenings as well as transportation to the uninsured and underinsured.
Northridge Hospital’s patient-focused therapies begin with diagnosis and continue through treatment and remission. For the convenience of our patients, the new Center combines clinical and support services in one location. In addition to your personal RN Navigator, we offer comprehensive support services that walk you through treatment and beyond.