Are You Newly Diagnosed?
Please know that you are not alone - we will be by your side to provide compassion, encouragement and expert medical care. Learning about your disease and treatment options can empower you.
Whether you've just been diagnosed or are looking for a second opinion, discovering you have cancer can be very emotional and confusing. Patients often feel overwhelmed by the amount of decisions to be made and the challenges they face.
So does knowing you have
cancer experts at Northridge Hospital to help treat, support and guide you through this journey. You will get through this with the help of your doctors, family and friends. Get the best treatment from the start.
Your first step should be to find the right cancer specialist and treatment facility. Below are some ideas on getting started.
What to Look for When Choosing a Hospital
- Choose a hospital with membership to a nationally accredited body.
An accredited Cancer Center has met stringent standards for cancer care.
- The Leavey Cancer Center is fully-accredited by three organizations: the American College of Surgeons as a Comprehensive Cancer Center, the American College of Radiation Oncology and the Association of Community Cancer Centers.
- The more patients a hospital or physician treats translates into unequaled medical expertise and superb patient care. The Leavey Cancer Center treats more than 650 patients per year.
- The most advanced methods of diagnosis and treatment, including new therapies that may not yet be available in your community. Northridge Hospital offers the latest technology that is only available at a small number of institutions worldwide.
All the support and resources you and your family may need: medical, surgical, nutritional, rehabilitative, cosmetic, pain management, psychosocial, and emotional from diagnosis throughout recovery and remission.
Find a Cancer Specialist
One way to find a doctor who is Board-certified and specializes in cancer care is to ask for a referral from your primary care physician. You may also know a specialist yourself or learn of one through the experience of a family member, coworker or friend.
Another alternative is to first choose a hospital, based on its reputation for providing high-quality cancer care, and then select a physician who practices there.
- Find a cancer specialist who is: 1) Sensitive to your needs and concern, 2) has a personality that you like, and 3) be someone you feel comfortable with.
- To help choose the right physician for you, just call the Northridge Hospital
FREE Find-a-Doctor service with your criteria, at (818) 908-8677, or view a list of cancer specialists (Hematology/Oncology) on our website.
- The American Board of Medical Specialties, a not-for-profit organization, has a list of doctors who have met certain education and training requirements and have passed specialty examinations.
- The American Medical Association DoctorFinder database provides basic information on licensed physicians in the United States.
Northridge Hospital's Online General Cancer Library
Learn how to become a proactive patient. Understand your treatment choices. Get the latest news on advances in cancer. If you or a loved one is facing cancer, you’ll want to explore the Cancer Knowledgebase, with separate sections on more than 60 types of the disease. For more information visit the National Cancer Institute.